Sunday, February 24, 2013

A, B, C, D, E, F, G...

I do a lot of large pieces for clients. For myself. For random sale. Because I bought it, and the husband got tired of looking at it on the porch. I like the feeling of completing a large piece. However my current fun comes from letters. In the store, we sold four different kinds of wood letters, and while they were all cute, more often than not, I ended up painting them to match a customer's room. This was one of my very first and while it's simple, just looking at it reminds me of Alexandra's entire nursery...

Alexandra's "a" (2004)

I keep a rotating stock of letters from New Arrivals, Inc. and Smile For The Birdie, but they are expensive (especially when I am going to be repainting them anyway). I did a mini-session class here in December and we had a blast taking those and turning them into personal pieces of art. Here are a few of them:

 Such talented clients!


One of my clients from the December mini-session is purchasing an A and a B to mount on the two fronts of her daughter's bathroom cabinet doors. How cute is that?


I'm always thinking bigger and better (refer back to loving large pieces), so when a client asked for a LARGE wood letter last year, I figured, "why not?" After figuring out what wood to use, what attachments, and how to cut "just so" without chipping the wood, we have been pretty happy with how the 3-foot letters are turning out. I say "we", because the jigsaw is something that I don't think I will be playing with anytime soon.

Here is my latest 3-foot wood letter. The font and color was chosen by my client, and she was meticulous about her choices! I think she done good...

Madeline's "M"

The possibilities are endless with these letters--from size to font to color, and they can really add a great accent to any room. No need to stick with a solid color--we do metallics, stripes, Chevrons, polka dots and even fabric or patterned papers. 3-foot wood letters in any finish are $75, and we can ship anywhere in the US. I am pleased with the pricing and quality on these, as I have seen them on ETSY for $125 plus (not including shipping). I love coming back to something that I have always done and improving upon it. Little projects like these letters keep my creativity flowing.

We offer almost any font in any size, but you can also order pre-cut letters from us if you want to try making your own! I am currently working on a BURRUSS est. 1996 set of individual letters for a large wall in my living room. It's entirely possible I might get it completed and hung before I get to Z with client orders.

Always learning my ABC's.

No comments:

Post a Comment