Wednesday, May 22, 2013

SOLD!

I have been to a LOT of auctions. However, they are usually the kind that I have run, and I've done a slew of them. Silent and live auctions for benefits are not anything like live auctions for porch goodies. Believe me, after learning to talk in Alabama, honing my speak in Texas, and being a Georgia girl for the last 29 years, I talk fast. I have nothing on the auctioneers.

It's interesting to watch everyone before the bidding begins. Seeing what they hover over, touch, and whisper about to their companions. I found myself cutting eyes a little bit at anyone who seemed to covet what I was coveting, but I don't think they saw me do it, so it's totally okay. Right?  They started outside, and I already had a few things that I knew must go home with me. One was this iron industrial cart:

I loved the finish as it was, and envisioned dark mahogany-stained shelves.

I had been paying close attention to what the majority of people there were bidding on up until my cart came up for bidding. They started with old wood doors, and only one of them sold. I figured that was a good sign for me, as old doors are something that I would totally buy a mess of if I hadn't already 
set my sights on other things (see below, as I caved on a door). Needless to say, I "won" the cart and let out a very annoying "Whoop!" when he gave the final point to me. I cannot wait to have Mr. Burruss cut shelves for it!

The next item I won was this great metal chair, and funnily enough--it was paired with an old door. I love the layering on the door, and plan on only flaking a bit of the loose paint chips off and putting a heavy spray clear coat on it. The little chair is just precious, and I think I may just leave it as is, too and also do a heavy clear coat on it.

They do actually look like they are meant to be together, don't they?

Next it was on to the Mack Daddy of what I wanted. This:

I have NO idea what it is, or where it was used. The general consensus is that it is an old Eastern Airlines luggage cart. Give it a guess yourself in the comments below.  I would love to have a thick cushion made for it and take porch naps on it. I think I shall.

I kind of zoned out on the rest of the outside items and made my way indoors. If you have never been to a live auction (that isn't book-ended by cocktails and dinner), they can last a long time while you are waiting for them to get to YOUR stuff. Inside there must have been about 200+ items up for auction--there were a few things I liked, but not enough to make the highest bid. I got this sweet French lamp, and need to find a shade for it before the next show at Scott Antique Market.

Pretty French Blue--Just needs a touch of dark wax to give it some depth.

I didn't say there wasn't anything that I wanted inside. I just said I let a lot of things go higher than I was willing to pay for them. However, there was one thing that I wanted. Needed. I have a tendency to lean towards art (in my home) that is a little off. You will find a small oil painting in my kitchen, but the rest of it is a little "off". This little gal was going to be mine...

And now she is.

I had a great time at the auction, and hope to attend another in the Fall. If you haven't ever been, here are few things I would suggest (because I am now an expert after one experience):
  1. Have a budget. Stick to it.
  2. Take a good look at everything before the auction starts, and know what you have your heart set on.
  3. Have a friend tell you when to raise your card and nod to the auctioneer if you can't follow along with the speed of the auctioneer.
  4. Have fun--I know I did!
Want to attend an auction in your area? Visit www.auctionzip.com to search for upcoming events.

1 comment:

  1. Great post!!! Feels like I was there with you...oh wait - WAS! I forgot all about that awesome form you got - love it and I can't wait to see how the big cart and metal shelves turn out! Auctions ROCK!!!

    ReplyDelete